Saturday, February 11, 2006

The Kite Runner

A Short Book Review

I just finished reading an interesting & captivating book, The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini. It is a story about an Afghan now living in the U.S., but begins with his childhood in Afghanistan & how his life unfolds. From the very first paragraph, I was hooked:

"I became what I am today at the age of twelve, on a frigid overcase day in the winter of 1975. I remember the precise moment, crouching behind a crumbling mud wall, peeking into the alley near the frozen creek. That was a long time ago, but it's wrong what they say about the past, I've learned, about how you can bury it. Because the past claws its way out. Looking back now, I realize I have been peeking into that deserted alley for the last twenty-six years."

1 comment:

Yon Saucy Wench said...

I read that last year (a couple of times, actually--and actually, I think I brought it along family camping!)...it's now one of my all-time favorite books. Beautiful, heartrending, heartbreaking. Hmm. Might need to go reread it again now. :)