Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Tooth Tunes

I was watching TV with the girls last night and saw a commercial for something I never would have imagined. Tooth Tunes, a musical toothbrush. It's timed to play two minutes of whatever song you choose so kids know how long they should brush for. What a cool idea, I thought. It would totally motivate a kid. But as I thought about it more and more, I changed my mind. What a horrible idea. The main problem in the design is that each toothbrush only plays one song. I can't come up with a song that I'd like to hear over and over every morning and every night. And I certainly can't pick one of the songs that's actually available.
The Beach Boys - Fun, Fun, Fun. Now I enjoy the Beach Boys quite a bit, but this is one of their more repetitive songs. No way I'd want to hear it twice a day.
Destiny's Child - Survivor. Who is buying their children music from Destiny's Child?
Kelly Clarkson - Walk Away: Hearing this song once is once too many.
Queen - We Will Rock You: Great song. But I don't think you could get a good brushing rhythm established to it.
Aly & AJ - Walking on Sunshine: This was a fun song in the 80s when Kristina and the Waves played it. Don't give me a second rate cover version.
Black Eyed Peas - Let's Get It Started: Please. Do you really want images of Fergie in your head when you're brushing your teeth?
Hilary Duff - Wake Up: OK, sort of appropriate for the morning brushing session. But has potential to cause insomnia if used at night.
Jamiroquai - Canned Heat: Much too funky.
Jesse McCartney - Beautiful Soul: I have no idea who this even is.
Kiss - Rock and Roll All Night: Somehow I just don't associate Kiss with good dental hygiene.
Smash Mouth - All Star: Probably the best choice. It will always remind you of the end of Shrek.
The Cheetah Girls - Shake a Tailfeather: In a word? No.
Theme from Rocky (Gonna Fly Now): This would be inspiring. I would want to attack my teeth. I'd probably end up eroding away the enamel.
The Village People - YMCA: How would I be able to brush my teeth AND make the Y-M-C-A hand signals at the same time?

Plus, the most aggravating part would be that every song would end at two minutes. So just when you're starting to enjoy it, poof, you're done. That's a recipe for an earworm of epic proportions. So in short, no thank you Tooth Tunes.

1 comment:

Gary Lamon said...

Nicely Done!