Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Grilling Bible



Nancy bought this great new cookbook called The Grilling Bible. As Carol says you need to use your cookbooks early so you know you get a couple of great recipes from the book to help cost justify you purchase.
We knew Lois was spending a bit of time alone while Dale was traveling, and we thought it would be nice to have her come to dinner. As it turned out Alicia and Kane were in town and they were invited as well. Nancy and I had loads of fun, visiting with everyone and playing with Kane. It seems that when kids are around, everything is so much livelier.
Anyway, we used three recipes from the new book...Lemon Herbed Ice Tea, Tequila Lime Shrimp and for desert a Grilled Banana Split. I have to say they we all very good especially the desert. Basically, you slice a banana lenthwise, keeping the peel on the banna. Brush the cut side with melted butter, grill for two minutes, flat side down, the flip over and grill for two more minutes. Remove from grill and remove grilled banana from peel, place on a desert plate, add a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream, drizzle a mixture of herseys chocolate syrup and orange flavored liquor (we used Triple Sec) then topped it off with a few sliced almonds...Very good!
Oh I forgot to mention that about an hour before we ate I went out to our little garden and picked a few green, yellow and purlple magic beans and we had them next to a bed of pasta with some home grown pesto tossed in.
The cookbook was a validated and I would like to recommend it to all you back yard chefs.
We had a great time and I know we'd like do it again some time!

2 comments:

Lois said...

I can attest to a great meal! It all was quite tasty & the grilled banana split was awesome! And, I can attest to the great company, too!
Thanks, Gary & Nancy for the great time!

AliciaKay said...

Yes!! Thank you much~~ I wish you would post the recipie for the Tequila Lime Shrimp....they were fantastic. I am glad Kaner and I were in town to enjoy great food and even better company~