Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Back in the Brewing Biz

I haven't brewed since we moved from our old place in St Paul to our new place in Eagan. All the brewing supplies got put in a dedicated brewing supply room (more like a root cellar) and there they've sat since, nearly two and a half years. But over Memorial Day weekend I harvested some fresh hops from the plant I have at my in-laws and that put the brewing bug back. So this weekend, we're brewing!

I got the makings for an Extra Pale Ale tonight at Northern Brewer. The recipe is:
1 lb Dingemans Caramel Pils grain
6 lbs Gold Malt Syrup
1 oz Chinook hops
1 oz Cascade hops

My plan is that I'm going to try dry hopping with the fresh hops. So after adding the Chinook hops at the beginning of the boil and the Cascade at the end, I'll move the wort to the primary fermenter. Then, when it's time to move to the secondary I'm going to add some of the hop flowers to the fermenter. It shouldn't make the beer any more bitter, but it should make it an extremely hoppy variety. Should be interesting!

4 comments:

Gary Lamon said...

One of the brews I made (Merry Christmas Ale) I used green hops. The recipe said it will taste a bit more "grassy, closer to nature" so I will have to pop one a see how it is going. It been in the bottle since last Saturday.
We'll have to trade a few.

Matt, let get in gear...Holidays are right around the corner.

Matt said...

As it turns out, Pete and I are planning on brewing together this weekend. It'd be fun to get a couple of different batches put together!

Gary Lamon said...

That is fun when a small group gets together and brews...What is the second one your going to brew? I guess my all time favorite has be the Dunn Bros Expresso Stout. Wonderfully thick and a tasty if you like good strong coffee and beer. Very easy to make also.
Remember, Don't worry, relax and have a home brew!

Yon Saucy Wench said...

You harvested the hops during Labor Day weekend. Just clarifying. :)