Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Clarence and Verna


Clarence was one on the first guys we met after moving to Turtle River. He was a jack of all trades but made his living as a plumber and we were constantly in need of one. Clarence was the same age as Dad(Bryce) and he would work circles around most guys in the trades. When he was 72, he built his own house. Not "had it built" but he built it. I helped roof a big steel pole barn after he finished his house. The last full year he worked he plumbed 12 NEW homes and would open/close about 40 lake cabins for people plus run plumbing service calls. He worked up to couple of months before his death earlier this this year. Clarence loved his family very much and took care of Verna as long as he could. He had saved a bit of money for his old age and ended up using most of it for Verna's care. People told him he should put Verna in a nursing home, because she was in a wheel chair and it was difficult for him to take care of her. He would not have it. He privately paid for people to come into the home round the clock to help take care of Verna.
One of their favorite things to do was sit around the kitchen table and enjoy splitting a couple of beers and talking about the day. One day he invited me to join him and I did but I brought a home brew. Verna loved it and so I stopped by from time to time to enjoy a home brew and visit with them. She said it was just like her dad made.
I was called on Sunday about Verna's death (she ws 85) and was asked to help at the funeral, carrying the coffin from the church. This was a sad day for me.

2 comments:

Lois said...

Gary, I remember (well)when you talked about them...isn't it wonderful to have known such nice people. I know that they appreciated & loved you, too.

My thoughts are with you.

Frostbike said...

Ditto what Lois said. It's sad when they go, but it's better than never having known them.