Thursday, August 11, 2005

Shades of Soul

Well, around 11:00 this morning, I decided to trudge out to the paperbox at the end of our driveway to pick up the daily "Pioneer," Bemidji's one & only. I could not believe my eyes!! The Shades of Soul are playing two nights during the All School Reunion this weekend. Up until this point, I really didn't care one way or the other about the reunion...but now! Well, let's just say that my energy & excitement level has soared!

The first paragraph of the article reads: "They were Motown in the Northwoods. They were suave, cool and full of music--and they're together again. The Shades of Soul." Molly Miron took the words right out of my mouth!

Back in the 60's when I was in high school, it was not uncommon to have live music at summer parties around town. The bands usually were classmates that had a need to play & the parties had a need for live music, so it was a perfect fit. They wanted to play for experience...& the funny thing about it was they also had talent. That is the way this band got started.

They had about 15 members & the paper has nine on the front page that are reuniting for this weekend. They had many instruments, including brass, dressed in suits, and danced as they played & sang. This weekend they will be doing the same thing, probably without the suits, however.

I guess that I will be going to the All School Reunion after all...how could I live with myself if I didn't relive this part of my life?

No comments: